From these moments background

Monday, June 21, 2010

A Bike Ride in the Rain....

A week ago Saturday our neighbors and our family took a bike ride on the pumpkin vine trail in Goshen. It started out nice, sunny, and beautiful. We biked from Goshen to Middlebury. We took the developed trail as far as it went and then hit the country roads on into Middlebury. We went and got ice cream at Mancino's/Ice Cream joint. It was a good break. By the time we got there it had started to cloud over a bit. We thought we would just wait out the storm, until it became clear to us that if were going to make it home in time we were gonna have to ride it out in the rain.
We packed the kids away in their bike cart that is equipped with a nice rain cover thankfully and set out for the ride home. I was wearing shorts and a tank top cause it was a hot sticky day. Let me tell you it was freezing ride on the way home with the rain coming down on us and the wind blowing around us. We took all the same country roads back to the developed trail and road the rest of the way back into Goshen. By the time we got home we were completely drenched, muddy, and my teeth were chattering because I was so cold. We had mud all the up the back of our shirts and into our hair. I thought it was quite disgusting but I didn't want to lose the look we had up our backs. So we stayed outdoors after we got home for a bit while Edwin came in and grabbed the camera for some quick shots.











All the while, the boys had fallen asleep in the cart on the way home and were crying their little eyes out. So we quickly took the shots, came inside and took showers and put the boys to bed. We finished our evening with a movie, "The Incredible's." I actually fell asleep in the middle of the movie and went to bed before it was over.
All in all it was a great time. I don't know that I would ever be willing to bike in the rain again like we did and get so nasty muddy and wet but it was fun while it lasted. I would bike to Middlebury again no problem though. That was a blast. Our round trip ended up being somewhere around 22.6 miles. It was a good ride and the next day I felt amazing.

No comments: