From these moments background

Friday, July 2, 2010

We are home

We have been home from the hospital since late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning, which ever way you consider 1 a.m.
Early Wednesday afternoon the doctor came in and checked on us and found out that Dakota hadn't been drinking anything as of yet. To me it was greatly discouraging because I really had in my mind before we left for the hospital that Dakota would be one of those that would just pick the bottle right back up. I was wrong. Dakota was one of those that chose to be stubborn about it. He was doing well enough otherwise that they moved us from the PICU to the regular PEDS floor. Unfortunately we ended up sharing a room with a very cranky 20 month old who was also recovering from surgery but he was post-op day 1. He was still in a lot of pain. I felt for him but man did it stress me out. I think we got put in a room about half the size and had to share it with someone else. By the time we got Dakota to take a little nap, I was so frazzled I thought I was gonna lose my mind. They actually place children/patients together who have similar problems....i.e. close to the same age, same sex, and both had had oral surgery.
So we took a bit of a break from the floor and went and got some dinner. It was nice to have a bit of a break. I thoroughly needed it. Once we got back into the room Dakota was awake and crying because he was with someone he didn't know. At this point he still completely refused to eat or drink anything except about 2 bites of jello earlier in the day. I also started praying and begging God at this time to allow Dakota to eat so that we could go home. I figured going home that night was no longer even a possibility since it was already so late.I decided to pull out the formula that we use for Dakota since he wasn't digging what ever they had for him. It was about 9:30 p.m. when he started taking his bottle. I was so shocked. He just kept at it until he had finished 3 ounces. I was so excited but I just knew that we would still have to stay because they wouldn't release anyone to go home so late at night. I was wrong. The nurse called the doctor and he said yeah let them go home. Wow! I was astonished!
So began the gathering together of our belongings, signing the beloved discharge papers, and then we were out of there.Since we have returned home, Dakota continues to improve every day in everything he does. Today we have eaten something at every meal. That is huge because that is another thing that he was refusing to do for me. I am thankful that he finally has had his procedure and that we are on the way to full and complete recovery. Below I have included several pictures from the day of/day after surgery.Here is Dakota and his daddy right before they took him back for his surgery.

This is right after we went in to see him for the very first time after surgery. He was pretty agitated until they placed him in my arms and then he calmed right done.


Here he is finally resting comfortably, or as comfortably as you can right after surgery.

This is him playing Wednesday morning with toys after waking up. He is still currently attached to all his wires, which became really hard to keep untangled as he went from one end of the crib to the other trying to play.

And here is my baby with one of his first smiles right before they released us to come home!

No comments: