From these moments background

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Makeover of the Heart Week 5- "A Prayerful Heart"

Once again I have taken part of Makeover of the Heart over At the Well. I love having something that takes me to the Word, something that helps keep my focus. Over the last 5 weeks this is what has been doing it for me. This past week, (yes, I am almost a week late yet again), our study was on a Prayerful heart. Our verse for this week was Psalm 37:7 "Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him."
Prayer for me is something that has always been close to my heart. For me it is that "connection" to God. Its that time where I can tell him all of my problems and lift up those who are close to me.
But the hard part about it is, it isn't always the first place I turn to when I am in need. It is so easy to pick up the phone and call or text a friend and tell her what is going on instead of first looking to God and seeing what he has to say about and even then its difficult to take enough time to sit and wait patiently for him. God's timing is perfect....its just not always the timing I am wanting. I am a seemingly impatient person.
I Thessalonians 5:16- 18 really paints the life of prayer that God wants us to have. "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Also Philipians 4:6 says
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done."
These are amazing verses but really hard to live up to. I guess this is one way we can continue to press on toward the goal of our heavenly reward.
We were asked to answer some specific questions about something difficult we have faced in our life and how have we responded to it? One of the most difficult things I have ever faced is the loss of a baby through miscarriage. In the midst of it I was angry at first, but in the back of my mind all I could hear were words to a song that we sang at church. It is entitled "Good to Me (I Cry Out)." From Vineyard Songs.
I cry out for Your hand of mercy to heal me.
I am week, I need you love to free me.
Oh Lord, my Rock, my strength in weakness,
Come rescue me, Oh Lord.

Chorus
For you are my hope, and your promise never fails me;
And my desire is to follow you forever,
For You are good, for You are good, for You are good to me.

I remember singing this song over and over and over again. Really clinging to God through every moment of it. God is good. He is the only one we should cling to. He is the only one we should turn to. Its so hard to remember this in the heat of the moment. I pray that God continues to awaken prayer in my life. I pray that I can continue to learn more and more about him.

No comments: